Heat and cold therapy has become indispensable in any physiotherapy center, there are more than 50% of people who have experienced physical therapy through heat or through cold, although a large number of people do not know the importance of this type of treatment and its benefits. So in this article we will learn about:
What is heat therapy?
Heat therapy is a form of physical therapy that aims to apply warm heat to small and large pain areas, and can be applied to the entire body as well. Heat therapy is used to improve blood circulation and blood flow, in case you have an injury that causes pain or limited functional movement. You can resort to heat therapy using hot wet packs, as it is the best way to get rid of these pains, in addition to that, it works to increase muscle flexibility and helps in feeling satisfied and comfortable.
Benefits of heat therapy:
Studies have indicated that about 40% of people have undergone physiotherapy programs and achieved excellent treatment results, so there are many advantages that heat therapy achieves, including:
- Expand blood vessels and increase blood flow to the body, because the blood supplies the affected tissues with nutrients, oxygen and proteins, thus facilitating the process of healing and healing.
- Increasing the stretching of connective tissue in tight muscles, which helps to relax those muscles and reduce their stiffness.
- Reduce the level of inflammation and fluid accumulation in the inflamed tissues.
- Activate some areas of the brain responsible for reducing pain.
- Pain relief: Heat therapy can help relieve pain by increasing blood flow to the affected area and reducing inflammation.
- Reduce inflammation: Heat therapy can help reduce inflammation by reducing the production of inflammatory chemicals.
- Improve muscle flexibility: Heat therapy can help improve muscle flexibility by increasing blood flow to the affected area and relaxing muscles.
- Improve mobility: Heat therapy can help improve mobility by relieving pain, reducing inflammation, and improving muscle flexibility.
Conditions that need heat therapy:
Heat therapy can be used to treat some symptoms and alleviate the pain associated with them, as heat therapy is the best type of physical therapy and the most important cases that require it are:
- Acute low back pain.
- Neck pain.
- Pain and muscle spasm.
- Menstrual pain and dysmenorrhea.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome pain.
Although heat therapy is the most appropriate means in the treatment of many diseases, there are cases in which the use of heat therapy devices is not allowed, including:
- Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Spinal cord injury.
- Multiple atherosclerosis.
- Renal failure or liver failure.
- In case of bleeding.
Types of heat therapy:
There are many types of heat therapy,
1.Dry thermal compresses:
- This type of compress helps increase blood flow in the affected area, relieve muscle spasm and joint stiffness, and improve blood circulation in the body.
- It also dilates the blood vessels in the area affected by inflammation, thus increasing the feeling of relaxation. and pain relief associated with the affected muscles.
2.Wet thermal compresses:
- Wet thermal compresses are effective faster and better than dry compresses, due to their ability to heat deep tissues, and can also be applied to the skin for two hours a day, and also include heated wet towels, and cloth bags filled with silicone.
- It can be used to relieve spinal and back pain, and through muscle recovery sessions.
- One of the most effective means of heat therapy, as many disposable used patches or belts are available in pharmacies.
- Despite the importance of thermal adhesive, it is only used in cases of fractures or tears and muscle tension.
- This type of treatment can be applied by bathing with warm water, by placing the body in a basin of warm water, as this treatment helps stimulate blood circulation, promote the healing process of wounds, and also clean burns and wounds.
- Fizik Center and Rehabilitation Center is the best center that conducts hydrotherapy programs, supervised by the best doctors and specialists.
The relationship between physical therapy and heat therapy:
Physical therapy and heat therapy are two forms of physical therapy that can be used separately or together to improve overall health and treat a variety of medical conditions.
a form of therapy that focuses on improving mobility and body functions. Physical therapy can include a variety of treatments, including:
- Stretches: Stretches help increase muscle and joint flexibility.
- Strength training: Strength training helps build muscle strength.
- Balance exercises: Balance exercises help improve balance.
- Manual therapy: Manual therapy uses manual movements to improve mobility, flexibility, and pain.
Heat therapy is a form of therapy that uses heat to improve overall health and treat a variety of medical conditions. Heat therapy can be especially useful for people suffering from pain, inflammation, and circulatory problems.
Benefits of Physiotherapy and Heat Therapy
Both physical therapy and heat therapy can have many benefits, including:
- Pain relief: Both treatments can help relieve pain by increasing blood flow to the affected area and reducing inflammation.
- Improve circulation: Both treatments can help improve circulation by increasing blood flow to the affected area.
- Reduce inflammation: Both treatments can help reduce inflammation by reducing the production of inflammatory chemicals.
- Improve muscle flexibility: Physical therapy can help improve muscle flexibility by increasing blood flow to the affected area and relaxing muscles.
How to use physiotherapy and heat therapy together
Physical therapy and heat therapy can be used together to improve therapeutic outcomes. Heat therapy can help relieve pain and reduce inflammation, making it easier for people to do the exercises recommended by a physiotherapist. Physical therapy helps improve mobility and flexibility, allowing people to benefit more from heat therapy.
Here are some examples of how physiotherapy and heat therapy can be used together:
- Back pain: Heat therapy can be used to relieve pain and reduce inflammation before and during physiotherapy sessions. Physical therapy can help strengthen core muscles and improve posture, helping to reduce pain in the long run.
- Knee pain: Heat therapy can be used to relieve pain and reduce inflammation before and during physiotherapy sessions. Physical therapy can help strengthen the muscles around the knee and improve range of motion, helping to reduce pain in the long run.
- Muscle injuries: Heat therapy may be used to relieve pain and reduce inflammation after an injury. Physical therapy can help strengthen muscles and improve mobility, helping speed up the healing process.
What is cold therapy?
Cryotherapy is a method of treating pain and some diseases by exposing the entire body or a specific part of it to low temperatures that may exceed -129 degrees Celsius for a short time, through physiotherapy devices that contribute to reducing inflammation and pain and improving blood circulation. One of the most important centers that carry out cold physiotherapy is the Physik Center for Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation, which has the latest equipment in which cold therapy enters, and is supervised by the best specialists.
Benefits of cold therapy:
There are many benefits of cold therapy, as it is considered the best option in the treatment of most diseases, especially arthritis, although many do not know the benefits of cold natural therapy.
Among the advantages of cold therapy are:
1.Improve the health of the body:
- Cold therapy is the best solution that helps reduce inflammation caused by the overactive immune system, and by reducing pain and inflammation overall health is promoted.
2. Pain relief and muscle healing:
- Applying ice molds to areas of muscle pain is one of the best forms of cold therapy, as it increases blood flow after removing the source of cold and thus facilitating and accelerating the healing process
3. Treatment of sports injuries:
- After an injury, physiotherapy is taken for granted at all stages of treatment since the injury and is used to heal painful sports injuries.
4. Treatment of some skin problems:
- Local treatment using ice helps treat some skin problems such as melasma, skin cancer, and other various skin diseases.
5. Weight Loss:
- Cryotherapy often helps in the process of weight loss, by stimulating metabolism contributes to the freezing of fat in the body.
6. Reduce the risk of chronic diseases:
- Cold therapy is known to help reduce inflammation that is likely to lead to many chronic diseases such as cancer, diabetes and dementia, in addition to helping to reduce eczema symptoms such as dry skin and itching.
Types of cold therapy:
- This is done by cooling the entire body by standing or sitting in the cold room, as this is done by exposing the person’s body to very cold temperatures below zero using liquid nitrogen.
- This type of treatment should be kept in the closed cold room for two to four minutes.
- Partial cryotherapy is different from cooling the entire body at the person’s standing point in a head room open from above without covering the head.
- This type of cryotherapy is not currently widespread, compared to the first type.
3. Diving in cold water:
One of the best types of cryotherapy is immersing a person’s body in cold water except for his head and neck, and this type is used to treat muscle pain after exercise.
4.Applying ice to the body:
- This method is the best in reducing inflammation and swelling, and is especially used for athletes
- Ice is applied to the body after suffering an injury at the level of muscles and joints, such as sprains and fractures, to reduce pain, swelling and inflammation, by applying ice packs to the affected area.
- Physique Center is one of the best cryotherapy centers, as it has an integrated unit to rehabilitate athletes through sports medicine rehabilitation devices such as the GAME READY device
Cases in which cold therapy should not be used:
Despite the importance of cold therapy and its role in reducing inflammation and pain significantly, there are many cases that are not suitable for cold physiotherapy, the most important of which are:
- In the case of pregnant women and children.
- If you suffer from high blood pressure and heart.
- Do not stay more than 4 minutes if cryotherapy is using whole body.
- Diabetics or patients with nerve damage should not resort to cryotherapy to avoid nerve damage.
Tips when doing cryotherapy sessions:
- There are many tips that must be done when taking cryotherapy sessions, and the most important steps to do are:
- Ice should not be applied directly to the surface of the skin, as this leads to burns
Among the most important tips to consider:
- It is better not to leave cold compresses on the pain site for more than 20 minutes.
- Before the session, you should wear loose and dry clothes when cooling the entire body.
- Wear socks, to protect the ends from extreme cold.
- Eat and drink 12 hours after the cooling session.
Who needs cold therapy?
Cryotherapy is an important therapeutic method, especially for many groups, such as athletes, neuropaths and other benefits, for example some uses of cold therapy such as:
Cryotherapy for athletes:
It provides many benefits to athletes, and there are many reasons why this type of therapy is important:
- Pain relief: Cryotherapy can relieve pain caused by sports injuries and relieve inflammation of muscles and tendons.
- Reduce chronic inflammation: Cryotherapy helps reduce the severity of inflammation in the affected areas, helping to speed up the healing process.
- Cell regeneration: Cryotherapy enhances the level of blood flow to the affected area
Weight loss with cold therapy:
- Cryoslimming sessions are one of the ways to lose weight and get rid of stubborn and accumulated fat in certain areas of the body such as the abdomen, buttocks, and others.
- This technique was first used in the early twentieth century, until cryoslimming technology continued to develop to this day. This technique helps in weight loss and body tension.
- Weight loss and excess weight are eliminated, with a device known as (cryo)
- Physique Center is one of the best centers in the treatment of obesity through the latest devices and therapeutic means that help reduce weight and get rid of fat.
Cold therapy for skin diseases:
- It is unknown to treat skin diseases with cryolysis such as, eczema, which causes severe itching, as this type improves antioxidants in the blood and reduces inflammation.
- Some studies have proven that cryotherapy is more effective in relieving the symptoms of eczema and some other skin diseases.
Cold therapy for mood disorders:
- About 50% of people reported that cryotherapy helps treat symptoms such as anxiety and depression, because cold temperatures increase the body’s response.
- It releases adrenaline, norepinephrine and endorphins, hormones that increase the impact on the health of people.
Best Heat and Cold Therapy Center:
Physique Center is one of the best heat and cold therapy centers in Egypt, offering a variety of heat-and-cold treatments, including:
- Heat therapy: This heat therapy uses heat to improve overall health and treat a variety of medical conditions, including pain.
- Cold therapy: This cold therapy is used to improve overall health and treat a variety of medical conditions, including pain, inflammation and muscle bruising.
a range of factors that make it an ideal choice for people looking for heat and cold therapy, including:
- A team of experienced and highly qualified physiotherapists: The center includes a team of experienced and highly qualified physiotherapists. And who have been trained in the latest therapeutic methods using heat and cold.
- Using the latest therapeutic devices and techniques: The center uses the latest therapeutic devices and techniques.
- Focus on treatment outcomes: The center focuses on treatment outcomes
Physique Center offers a variety of treatment programs that rely on heat and cold. Which suit the condition of each individual patient. These programs include:
- Heat therapy programs: These programs offer a variety of heat treatments. Such as infrared therapy, hot mud therapy and hot water therapy.
- Cold therapy programs: These programs offer a variety of cold treatments.
Prices of cold therapy and heat therapy sessions:
The prices of cryotherapy and heat therapy sessions vary greatly in Egypt. The cost of cold and thermal treatment depends on a number of factors, the most important of which are the cost, the nature of the center and the expertise of the doctors.
|Price for one session of cold therapy
|Ranges from 200 to 300 EGP
|The price of two sessions of cold therapy
|Ranges from 450: 600 C
|Price for one session of heat therapy
|Ranges from 300 to 600
|The price of two sessions of heat therapy
|Ranges from 750 to 800
Heat and cold treatment prices in Egypt 2024
Some questions asked by others:
What is cryotherapy?
Cryotherapy is the latest way to relieve pain and depends on freezing tissue to get rid of it. The treatment isn’t as painful as it seems, but it does cause a tingling and burning sensation, so you may need local anesthesia.
What does cooling do to the body?
- Cooling the body is important, as the body responds. When it is subjected to cryotherapy by narrowing the blood vessels and pushing blood into all organs.
- When cooling is stopped and the body regains normal temperature, the blood vessels dilate
- Cryotherapy also helps you get rid of inflammation. causing many diseases, reducing and relieving chronic pain.
What are the benefits of cryotherapy?
- Cryotherapy is the most appropriate treatment to relieve some of the symptoms of medical conditions.
- It contributes to the treatment of arthritis, reduces the severity of spinal pain symptoms and signs of depression, and relieves anxiety and stress.